Open Door Program
To apply for an Open Doors Scholarship, simply complete the application form, provide the requested information regarding income and family size to your YMCA so that we can provide scholarships in a fair and consistent manner.
All Open Doors Scholarships will be granted for six months. The YMCA requests that individuals and families reapply after this time period to keep the information on file updated. If you do not reapply at the time requested, your membership may be terminated.
The review process for granting scholarships will be handled on a location-by-location basis. To process your completed application we will need the required documentation.
All YMCA members receive the same membership benefits, regardless of whether or not they are receiving a scholarship. YMCA members can feel confident knowing that they are part of an organization that cares greatly for the health and well-being of all people, and is committed to building strong kids, strong families, and strong communities.
You will need these documents to apply for an Open Doors Scholarship:
- Copy of prior year's tax return If you do not have a copy of your tax return, you may obtain one by calling the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040.
- Copy of at least two pay stubs.
- Copy of Social Security or Disability checks, or copy of bank statement showing amount of automatic monthly deposit.
- Copy of unemployment check, child support or alimony payment, or copy of bank statement showing amount of automatic monthly deposit.
- Copy of rent assistance, ADC, food stamps, or other forms of assistance.
- Documentation for all incoming funds.
- Proof of Dependency for all children listed on application.
- Completed Application.
- If you are renewing your Open Doors membership please include, on a separate sheet of paper, a short essay describing how your Y membership has helped you and (if applicable) your family to grow in mind, spirit, and body.
If you have any questions about documentation, please ask your YMCA membership coordinator.
All scholarship applications and personal documents are kept confidential.